I had a really great dream last night. I was an operative in a secret spy group, tasked with taking down a fleet of robotic soldiers who were programmed to seek and destroy the citizens of my country. It was action-packed: full of explosions, climbing over barbed-wire fences, jumping off a cliff and, finally, landing on a small ledge that crumbled below me as I pulled out a hang-glider that folded small enough to fit in my pocket.
The best part of the dream, though, is that I had a partner in my adventure. We worked perfectly together and were completely in sync. We had complimentary skills and abilities. He configured the bombs, I snuck up and delivered them. He could reach the barbed-wire to pull it down, I could climb quickly and pull him up behind me. We jumped off the cliff together and landed, giggling, on the ledge but both of us were instantly getting our equipment out. He shot a grappling hook into the side of the cliff so we could have something to hang onto while I was assembling the glider.
Basically, we were a perfect team and in the dream I knew he was my partner in crime and in life. All throughout the dream, we looked at each other and smiled, giving each other encouragement and strength. I woke up, smiling, and turned to the warm mass at my back to hug him in appreciation. Unfortunately, that warm mass was just a stack of pillows that had absorbed my body heat. I was mightily disappointed to realize the guy didn’t actually exist and the happiness I’d felt was just a dream.
It didn’t stop me from feeling that warm lovey-dovey feeling I always get after having a good “I love that man” dream, though. I ended up dozing awhile and woke up after I’d dream-written out a list of things I want to find in a partner. I figured I’d might as well write them down for real while I’m still feeling euphoric. I can’t order these things by importance, because I feel like they’re all equally important.
- Communication – honesty, mutual vocalization of needs, no fear of criticism.
- Trust – unquestionable support.
- Fearlessness – no fear of being loved, no fear of showing love.
- Adventure – a mutual willingness for spontaneity, flexibility in life and goals, adaptability in unforeseen situations.
- Independence – separate but connected lives.
- Cooperation – rational discussion, mutual compromise, constructive brainstorming, successful follow-through.
- Laughter – shared humor.
- Friendship – turn to each other in moments of levity or crisis.
- Equality – a balance of give and take in all areas.
- Teamwork – complimentary skills, willingness to fill in where the other is failing, ability to acknowledge strengths and weaknesses and ask for help.
I don’t know how to find that perfect match, I don’t even know if he exists. The man I love in my dreams always looks like someone I actually do know, but I am not sure if that’s just wishful thinking on my part or not. I don’t know if these dreams are just my mind’s way of telling me not to give up hope, or if they are just random dreams with no purpose. I don’t even know if I’d know how to recognize someone who is “perfect for me”.
The one thing I do know? He is worth the wait.